Monday, August 20, 2007

Weekend Update

Hola friends & family…

Hope all is well with you- this weekend was full of outings and people and (as usual) food. And when I say “weekend,” I include today (Monday) since it was a Colombian holiday.

Saturday Julian and I went with Juan Pablo to Usaquen, a district up in the hills of northern Bogota. It is quite lovely and has an antique feel to it, although that could be due to the fact that when we were walking around (during the afternoon) it was beautiful, peaceful and quiet. The cafes and restaurants were only partly full during our stroll, however I was assured (by Juan Pablo) that at night the place comes alive with partiers. The weather here continues to be like mid-fall back home, and is just wonderful for walking.

An outdoors restaurant...





An intermural futbol game, here called "microfutbol" due to the smaller ball and smaller field...












After walking around Usaquen, we returned to La T and went to a very popular Irish Pub (ironic, I know). We were just looking for a place to sit and chat for a bit, so we all ordered a fantastic non-alcoholic drink called the “Irish Rose.” It is made with Ginger Ale, Grenadine and Lime Juice…not sure if they make these back home, but I’m sure they will when asked!


"...no drinkenness without beer." Not sure if they were being clever, or if that should be 'drunkenness.'

By early evening we were back home, and two of Julian’s cousins (primas) came over for dinner/drinks/company. Marcela and Juliana live in Cali, where Julian’s mom is from, and they were in town to visit Marcela’s boyfriend Alejandro. Julian cooked up a huge batch of pesto pasta with tomatoes and mozzarella (I helped by making garlic bread) and we hung out until we were all ready to fall over from exhaustion.

Sunday, as usual, was spent sleeping late, eating a lot, and sleeping some more. Edith spent the entire morning (beginning at about 6AM) making a delicious soup called Sancocho de gallina. This soup is made with hen, specifically, and cannot be duplicated with normal chicken (they say the hen has more flavor). It is served with mazorca (Colombian corn, which is much larger and much less sweet than that back home), yucca (which is a little tougher than a potato, and a little sweeter), and platano (plantain- very sweet, my favorite). There is, of course, also avocado (aguacate) with which to eat the soup. This is my favorite part, because you take half of an avocado, scoop a little out with your spoon, and then dip it in the soup to make a complete, delicious mouth-full of food. The corn and cooked hen are served separate from the soup itself, and you eat them with rice and a tomato-based sauce on top. Dario, Maria Jose, Sophia and Maria Jose’s sister joined us for this meal, and we were all left in a food coma by the end.

Setting the table with sancocho...

The mazorca and gallina, without tomato sauce on top...

After taking a little siesta, Julian and I met up with his friend Hugo and Hugo’s girlfriend Maryori to go out for a little dinner. Hugo brought us to a very interesting food-court restaurant called El Retiro. It is located at the top of a local mall, and has a beautiful view of the area. We sat at a table on the outside veranda, where the waiter brought us a huge compilation of menus from the multitude of food-vendors located on the top floor. We then each chose whatever type of food we wanted, and all ordered something different. Who would have thought: a food court restaurant. It was quite a nice meal and the company was very enjoyable. So much so, in fact, that after walking around for a bit after dinner, we decided to stop into Crepes & Waffles for a little ice cream. In addition to being very affordable and delicious, I forgot to tell you that C&W also has a very admirable mission. This restaurant specifically employs only single mothers, who are struggling to provide for their family. Has there ever been a better reason to go eat ice cream?

Julian, Hugo, Maryori
Me, Julian, Maryori

Today, Monday, the big event was going to a restaurant I have been curious about for quite a while: Andrés Carne de Res. I know it seems like I am talking a lot about food here…but really, if you were here, you would too. And besides, Andrés Carne de Res is so much more than wonderful food. I think it is probably the most beautiful fun-house in the whole world. Not to say that it is literally a fun-house, because it is not, but as I was sitting there at lunch I couldn’t think of a more apt description.

Julian and I went to lunch with Juan Pablo and his friend Diana. Andrés Carne de Res is located outside of Bogota in Chia (that beautifully green suburb that I wrote about previously). When you first arrive at the restaurant, you notice that it is not normal. It has large, colored plastic cows outside, and the entrance looks a lot like the entrance to an Indiana Jones theme park ride. And although the restaurant may look to be a very decorated, wooden, hacienda-like building from the outside, from the inside it absolutely defies description. There are random objects (plates, mirrors, metallic art…) in every space on every wall and hanging from the ceiling. Performers are wandering around in costume singing, other performers are dancing, and behind it all Tropi Pop (cheerful, carribean music) is playing on speakers strategically located around the various rooms (the restaurant is enormous). This entry is picture-heavy because words cannot do this locale justice. All I can say is that visiting Andrés Carne de Res feels a lot like being Alice, visiting Wonderland. I should also add, the food was fantastic- lots of delicious meats, patacones, arepas, chorizo, etc. And the bill- including three appetizers, two sodas per person, and four entrees (including my filet mignon…I couldn’t resist)- was only about US$100.

The menu: you had to turn the cranks to rotate and read the menu inside the box...

A shot of the ceiling...
A few of the actors...
Diana and Juan Pablo...
Me and Julian...
The cartero, a letter-delivery man who walked around urging all the men to write love-letters to the women they were with. He gave us the paper, but no pen, so Julian sadly could not write me a letter...
The beginning of a group-dance the waiters performed...
The waitresses performing their dance...
A random shot on the way out...
After lunch, we spent a while driving back home since everyone was returning to Bogota after the long-weekend holiday. Julian and I then did some last minute shopping, ate a quick dinner, and we are currently packing our bags for Cartagena!! We have to be up and out by 9-ish tomorrow morning, and we won’t be back in Bogota until late Thursday. That means that for the next few days, we will be soaking up some Caribbean sun, relaxing, and exploring Cartagena’s history in our “free” time. I have already been instructed: (1) Do not speak in front of any vendors, and (2) Never speak in English. Hopefully, this will avoid us being charged 10x over what things are worth.

I tell you, I could really get used to this life-style…

I’m off to finish packing…hasta luego!

1 comment:

Jaimie said...

Lots of food and sleep... it sounds absolutely amazing!