This week has been full of news since I last wrote. The most exciting news is that Julian was granted his visa on Tuesday, so he will be back in the states- for sure - October 4th. Thank Goodness! Accordingly, we had a big lunch at his Dad's house and celebrated the buenas noticias.
Wednesday, Julian, Edith and I had a day of leisure. I got my nails done, Edith got her hair done, and we went and did a little shopping. I'm on a mission to come back to the states with some of the Colombian-made goods that you cannot find back home. For example, there is this company called Velez that makes 100% leather goods. Their belts and shoes are famously top-quality here, so I bought a few belts and plan to return for a pair of boots I saw. I also bought a bathing suit at a store called Leonisa, known for their bathing suits and under-clothes. A successful shopping day, all-around. A little aside: for services and Colombian-made goods, the prices are incredible. Case in point: hiring a maid to clean/cook/etc. for one entire day costs about US$12. A french manicure costs about US$5 (if that). Three beautiful, top-of-the-line leather belts cost about US$50 total. However, try and buy anything imported (US shaving cream that cost .99 cents back home, goes for US$6 here...) and the prices are beyond outrageous.
A store in the mall-Julian was amused its random English name
Thursday we went for lunch at Dario's house, and enjoyed a delicious meal of almond-rice, sweet/sour beef, salad and patacones. Julian, Milton and I went out later with a bunch of Julian's friends, returning to the Bogota Beer Company for a few drinks. For this post, I really only have pictures of Thursday night since we haven't had the chance to go anywhere new and picture-worthy.
Another bit of exciting news is that Julian and I are going to Cartagena from Tuesday - Thursday. His father is treating us to a two-night, three-day vacation in a five-star hotel...!! The hotel is called Hotel Las Americas. We are beyond excited- time to put that new bathing suit to use!!
Today we have been relaxing at home because Julian came down with some kind of flu, but it's been nice to lay low for a day. And Julian's feeling better now, so no worries. Thanks to his 24 hour bug, I'm finally getting a chance to read Memoirs of a Geisha and eat junk food (namely, roscones- sugared bread filled with various sweet creams/jams...mmmmm).
The one last piece of news is unrelated to this trip: I found out that I have interviews for two choice law firms when I return home... not bad!
Ok, I think that's enough news for one day.
Hope you are all doing well- que les vaya bien!
1 comment:
Congrats on the interviews! Glad to hear Julian will be returning in October :o)
Miss you, but happy to hear you're having such a great time!
Post a Comment